WA – Not a win for the left!!

WA had a senate election. Both major parties have had swings against them, and the biggest winners are the Greens and Palmers ‘larger than life’ United Australia Party. Despite a swing towards the Greens this state senate election, don’t be fooled by the rhetoric of the Greens that ‘the people of WA have spoken, and they voted in favour of Green policies’ this is untrue and we all need to sit down, have a cuppa and put things into perspective.

http://vtr.aec.gov.au

If you have a look at the results (89.61% of votes counted), the ALP only received 21.76% of the vote, the Greens received 15.88%, this gives the left a total of 37.64%. When we look at the Liberals they received 33.71%, their coalition partner, the Nationals received a measly 3.10%, but given that the Liberals have campaigned to scrap the carbon tax and mining tax which both Labor and the Greens want to keep, we have the Palmers United Party who also wants to scrap these taxes coming in at 12.49%. This gives the centre right a total of 49.3%.
Now, I can hear the left saying “that’s still not a majority of West Aussies” true, but if we look at other centre right micro parties electoral results, we will find that over 50% of western Australians voted for centre right leaning parties.

With this in mind, the people of WA have spoken, and they do not endorse the Labor/Green alliance views on the carbon tax and mining tax, nor do they endorse the Greens policies. Scott Ludlam and the Greens ran an exceptional campaign, got to give some credit where its due, and many voters are disgruntled with the ALP’s failure to establish themselves as an opposition, therefore this is possibly the main reasons why the Greens have had a comfortable swing towards them. All in all, this was not a true test of Tony Abbott’s Prime Ministership, and if it was, well I’d say he is on the right track according to these results.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s